Friday, June 27, 2003

Dean, redux


I like to think I'm an imperfect example of what kind of people are, for the first time, really paying attention to the democratic process, in the form of Dr. Howard Dean.

I vote, and I always have. I'm single, college-educated, and work in IT (can you say 'disposable income', kids? I knew you could. Maybe not as much as pre-boom, but there you have it).

But, I don't feel connected to my government.
I don't like what my government does in my name.
I'm highly skeptical of marketing and advertising, so I don't appreciate being told what to think, expecially when it's just souped up cotton candy -- colorful, almost looks tasty until you actually try to eat it, and terrible for your health.

Aside from the fact that I vote, I'm just like all the self-disenfranchised citizens, who are self-disenfranchised because there's no one to vote for. Because of disillusionment with the process, and disenchantment with any government bigger than three people. Scandal and bickering and porkbarrel politics and more bickering and scandal.

STOP. You're supposed to represent me, dammit.

I think Dean does.

I think Dean's candidacy is the beginning of a revitalization of the Democratic Party, a revitalization of votors, and a re-committment of the country to democratic ideals. From the ground up.

I think the doctor has a hell of a lot more compassion than George W. Bush, who cannot speak with eloquence unless he's talking about visiting destruction upon others.

Today, Howard Dean is in San Diego, California. He spoke at a 9am rally at Trolley Barn Park, and is already at his next stop of the day. Vibrant, dedicated to service, and intelligent. A motivating speaker, telling the truth.

I tell ya, the District representative who spoke to the crowd (a crowd! 9AM! In San Diego!) before Howard Dean arrived made a strong impression on me. He described how, back when, the new governor of California flew out to meet the governor of Vermont to talk about education. It was supposed to be half an hour.

Three hours later, everyone walked out of that meeting with Governor Howard Dean with their heads spinning. Full of ideas, thoughts, and plans, from this Vermont innovator.

Long before this candidacy, Howard Dean has had a direct, positive impact on the people of California.

If you get a chance to see him in action, take it. If you have the right to vote, use it.

No comments: