I wake up to NPR in the morning, which, as an aside, makes for some funny dreams sometimes. The morning I woke up hearing that Iranian immigrants -- and others from predominantly Muslim nations -- were being detained upon arrival at INS offices to undergo registration of some sorts (followup to the WTC/Pentagon attacks on 9/11/2001) here in southern California, made me wish I was still dreaming. Alas, no.
The official reason for their detainment? Suspected visa violations. Suspected.
Are terrorists going to step forward and register themselves? Name...place of residence....occupation? Terrorist. Would you spell that, please?
Probably not, kids.
France seems to have a much more realistic response: French Council for the Muslim Religion. Maybe it's time for the US to take a page from that book.
deep resentful sigh
Y'know, in every religion or society there are stone cold wackos.
Assuming that everyone else in that group is an enemy because of the actions of certain extremists -- why, that's just stupid. If I did that, I'd have to believe that all Christians are evil.
More people, in my country, have been killed by Christian extremists of one kind or another than died in the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.
- Salem, Massachusetts -- 20 dead for witchcraft
- Estimates of the pre-contact Native American population of the Americas, all completely unscientific, range from 15 to 60 million. The Native population of California alone went from 85,000 to 18,000 between 1852 and 1890. "Well, at least they died Christian". I'm so relieved.
- The trans-Atlantic slave trade -- at least, at least 6 million. Boy, my mind's at ease over the states of their souls, too. Phew.
- The American South -- By 1918, at least 3,224 people were murdered by lynching, possibly many more.
- Over 2000 anti-gay assaults were reported in the United States in the year 2000. That's just in one year. How many of them were by self-identified Christians?
That "thou shalt not kill" thing, that doesn't apply to you. Heavens, no. That love your neighbor as yourself thing -- oh, not you. Jesus didn't mean you.
Oh, but Sidra, these cases aren't just about religion. You could argue that some of the examples of larger scope were only condoned by Christians or their dogma. "Only". So, perhaps I'm stretching a bit to make my point. Or maybe not. How many perpetrators of these crimes considered themselves actively Christian? Even good and godly? God-fearin' Bible-thumpers? Extremists acting in the name of their god? How many of the perpetrators believed it was OK with God to do this? How many cited scripture to their victims? Thought it was acceptable to beat, threaten and intimidate?
Say...that sounds like inflicting terror doesn't it?
And of course, it's not just in my country, kids. Why, no! The Christian Bible touts over a million dead in its pages. Scotland killed in the hundreds, thousands and possibly tens of thousands, as witches. Depending on which argument you believe, Hitler was Christian.
So....we should round up all white male Christians over the age of 16 in America and detain them, one way or another.
'Cause they are obviously a dangerous terrorist threat. To me, to you, to everybody.
- Lynching in America
- Crime Library: Witch Trials
- Hall of Remembrance: Current Death Toll
- Hall of Remembrance::FAQ
- Selected Death Tolls for Wars, Massacres and Atrocities Before the 20th Century
- Adolf Hitler - Christian, Atheist, or Neither?
- Beyond the Anti-Gay Statistics