Friday, March 22, 2002

Waiting for the Shoe to Drop


But in a good way. I had the best interview I've had in years with a delight of a company [they build telecom hardware and as a result do voice over IP stuff, among other things, and I can tell I'm going to be obsessed about that very topic for some time to come -- it makes so much sense what they're doing? In light of the kind of robust distributed computing you can do these days? And the Internet? Boy, honey, does it ever.]

Anyways.

I liked them. A lot. And the feeling was seriously mutual.

I flew down to San Diego on Monday night, stayed with Janis [inagurating her new hide-a-bed couch, like, actual grownup furniture, I almost couldn't sleep], went in and interviewed Tuesday, flew home that night[*], and have been poking around online looking for apartments in San Diego ever since. Looks pretty serious, kiddies. I love the Bay Area, but when the chips are down [and as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the ol' career, the chips are always down] I go where the jobs are, bay-bee.

The Interview [cue dramatic music, roll tape, aaaaaaaaand Action!]:

Met the head of MIS, whose minion I will become if all goes well, and we talked over several internal support tools he wants built/maintained/improved. This is a web application development position I was interviewing for, by the way. Much of what we discussed involves standard issues of interdepartmental communication that I've tackled before. One of their biggest things with which they want to deal right away is a problem I've already solved, and have the code, open source, on my laptop, like, right this second. I've been remiss and haven't stuck it up on SourceForge yet. My bad.

Chatted with HR, very nice lady, for about a half hour.

Moved onto the Veep who I actually met in a hallway at a different company, which just goes to show that a small small small small world it really is sometimes, and we hit it off like ham and eggs. We chit-chatted on quite a number of things.

I got a great author recommendation out of the head of MIS, CD, to wit, Guy Gavriel Kay, who wrote a trilogy, and I paraphrase, which does not suffer by comparison to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. That's a pretty impressive statement, so I schlepped to the library yesterday and picked up the specific trilogy in question and started it. So far, so good.


And here I am now, not-quite-twiddling-my-thumbs, waiting.

[*] A gentleman celebrating his 81st birthday experienced chest pains during the flight, and paramedics came aboard for him after we grounded in San Jose to whisk him away. On his birthday. Bleah. I do hope he's all right.

No comments: