Friday, February 15, 2002

A Grief Observed


I just bought C.S. Lewis' A Grief Observed at my local Book Market [you gotta check these guys out, you cannot beat their prices. It's incredible]. I decided to read it for 2 reasons.

1. I had a minor epiphany while wearing my WriterHat[tm] that I gravitate to writing melancholic, deeply introspective, moderately lonely people. Because that is, underneath everything, the "what I know" in the "write what you know" Famous Command Made To Writers. I think it's a good command, for fiction writers. And, frankly, there are far worse things in the world than to be instinctively drawn to writing lonely people who look at the world through strange filters. I can live with it.

2. I've always wanted to get to know C.S. Lewis better. I loved and still love the famous Narnia books, which of course he is best known for. But Lewis was known for a lot more, and I want to meet him in the pages of his work.

[The unspoken zeroeth reason, is that when it comes to books, I am a mountain climber. It was there.]

No comments: