Wednesday, January 16, 2002

Job Hunting


I'm looking for work. HighWire decided to go for someone else, and I'm bummed, because I think what they're doing is important and I'd like to be a part of it AND I'm qualified AND it seems like a nice place to work. I'm sure there's another 'and' in there somewhere, but I believe in moving forward, not back. Didn't make it, case closed, on to the next interview.

Wild horses couldn't have kept me away from this IBM spin-off: Delphion. Anyway, I met some of the staff yesterday, and I gotta say, I could definitely put in some major hours at that joint, and enjoy it immensely. I'm hard-wired for multi-tasked problem solving when you get right down to it, and it sure looks like that's the type of person they need. Delphion provides subscription services [among other things] to access intellectual property information from around the globe. I spent a good chunk of last year studying and working on software license management issues, and I think this company represents a good intersection of my interests in copyright, patent, and licensing issues and my experience in those areas and web and database programming.

Tangent: Y'know, I thought it would be hard 'letting go' my stories when I submitted them off to various magazines. Not in an 'oh, that's my baby, kind of way', but in a STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THING kind of way. Looking back at my track record as a software engineer, web programmer, pick your title, I cannot possibly see why I wondered that. I guess because I've never sent stuff off before, but it's really the same pattern to me: always go on to the next thing. Don't spin your wheels. I write, I document the work itself and the disposition of the work, and then move on.

So, I set up a cute little DB on my Visor to track stories, when and where they were submitted, and what the response was. Otherwise, I'd forget.

Awwwww.

Back to job hunting:

No, wait, I'm done. Forget it.







No comments: