Thursday, July 07, 2005

Church of Christ = Mideast Peace Plan?

Hello, now this is interesting.

Mideast divestment movement picks up steam. Apparently in English that means the United Church of Christ is going to use economic leverage on Israel and Palestine, "to promote peace between Israel and Palestinians and to call for the dismantling of the Jewish state's security fence."

Hm. Some say the resolution is "functionally anti-Semitic, which devalues the lives of the citizens of the Jewish state."

I know that I don't understand the emotion behind the creation of Israel -- I wasn't around -- but it never made sense to me as a kid. I mean, the US is a constructed nation, but it constructed organically: British Empire here, purchase there, war over here, declaration of independence over there, revolution, the whole thing. Israel always just seemed like someone waved a magic wand over a place other people were living in already and yelled "poof! Israel!". As if that would magically create a new nation, like laying a tablecloth over an already set table. Just, weird.

But, keep in mind, I'm American, and we don't actually study history, and while Israel has been on my to-study list for a long time, law school does tend to get in the way.

No comments: