Tuesday, June 21, 2005

On what basis did President George W. Bush decide to invade Iraq?

Why George Went To War

The memos are a government-level confirmation of what has been long believed by so many: that the administration was hell-bent on invading Iraq and was simply looking for justification, valid or not.


"He was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999," said author and Houston Chronicle journalist Mickey Herskowitz. "It was on his mind. He said, 'One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a commander-in-chief.' And he said, 'My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it.' He went on, 'If I have a chance to invade…, if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency.'"


So, this tells us Bush's idea of a successful president is one who had lots of "political capital" accrued from fighting a successful war, and used it to get lots of things passed.

And, if a war doesn't fall in your lap to give you that "political capital", why not just start one?

That's not great presidenting, that's self-serving.

No comments: