Friday, March 14, 2003

Wasted Paper


So, purely rhetorically, I ask, what good does it do me to get an NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) waiver to have an on/off switch for my air bag installed, if I can't find a shop willing to do the work?

I'm 4'11" tall. My sternum is 6 inches away from the steering column of my primary vehicle. An airbag takes at least 8 inches to deploy. I am firmly in the designated risk group(s), and the appropriate federal authority agrees.

I understand that any reputable service shop (whether a Toyota dealer or someone else) will want to ensure that they aren't liable for legal action in the event that they install such a switch and the air bag being on or off is a key element in some subsequent accident. However, that's the whole point of the waiver, isn't it? The waiver is their insurance.

If I can't have this work done legally, I have few options:

1. Do it illegally. (pros: it would be done. cons: might get caught.)
2. Live with it. (pros: everyone's happy. cons: except for me. Although, if I'm dead, no one can tell.)
3. Become an afficionado of classic cars/motorcycles, and drive a vehicle that doesn't, and never will, have an airbag. (pros: no airbag. cons: I love my truck. I want to drive my truck.)

No comments: