Friday, June 30, 2006

An Open Letter to Fellow Environmental Activists

On the viewing of An Inconvenient Truth by your friends:

Do not say, "I told you."
Do not say, "I told you over and over."
Do not say, "I've been screaming about this all my life, why did it take you so long to listen?"

Do not say these things.

Welcome your new activist fellows. Do not resent them because a cool documentary may be making environmental political activism fashionable. Welcome them, and encourage them to stay active. Do not bore them with stories about how it was twenty years ago, for you and the rest of the "real environmentalists". Do not assume they are like you. Do not asume they are unlike you.

Do not make them feel out of place because their eyes opened when they did. Their eyes opened. Be grateful. We still have a chance to change the world, if we open enough eyes.

If you care about the future, your own, your children's, your company's, you must care about the environment.

Do not resent the winds of change. Give your new fellows a leg up toward the future. Tolerate.

Why do I write this? Because I must learn this lesson.

No comments: