Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Just heard the Barbara Bush broadcast on NPR

The various quotes of her remarks I've read appear correct:

"Almost everyone I’ve talked to wants to move to Houston."

"What I’m hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed with the hospitality."

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle)--this is working very well for them."


Translation: those people have nothing to go home for, and look, we're giving them free stuff. Their lives are better now, thanks to Hurricane Katrina.

These people lost their homes, their communities, and in many cases, family members. They lost their entire lives. But because their lives were apparently meaningless -- it's not like they're real people or anything, handouts and a cot are a "step up".

I'm afraid I must given in to penchant for the obvious: W.T.F.?

We as a species have a long way to go.

No comments: