Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sidra's Seattle/WOTF Report

The awards ceremony was quite a lot of fun, my folks were there.

I shook hands and talked with authors who've been rocking my world for the past 20, 25 years. Fred Pohl, Anne McCaffrey, Larry Niven, and it was Jerry Pournelle and Fred Pohl who gave me my award.

I also met Eric Kotani, and who told me a cute little story about astronaut Pete Conrad while we were at dinner on Thursday night. And, lucky me, I chatted with yummy and charming Stephen Hickman, the artist who did the illustration for a favorite cover of mine, Steve Brust's /Jhereg/ (there's just something about the rendition of lizard skin, I love it), and is an afficionado of traditional Irish music, whereas I'm fast becoming one now that I've been to the Galway Sessions.

Lots and lots of other authors -- Kevin J. Anderson and his wife Rebecca Moesta, Sean Williams (dead sexy from Down Under), Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Jay Lake, Robert Sawyer, and those are just the names I remember, I'm better at actual conversations rather than names. Met Greg Bear at the dinner thing on Thursday night, didn't hear him say his last name, which saved me from saying something like, "You wrote that book! That one! That I loved! Whose name I can't remember!" (and that would be The Infinity Concerto, btw).

So, it was a good gig, and now I have this huge lucite thingy on top of my bookshelf, pretending to be a bookend for my old IASFM and Analog magazines.

And now, I get to go and be an associate for the New England Journal of Criminal and Civil Confinement. Go figure.

No comments: