Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Spinning Yarn: but what can I make with it?

I've been spinning recently, in between studying for exams (and taking them). I finished off some cranberry-peach-pinkish roving I bought almost two years ago (actually, I bought all my roving in about the same 3-month period), and am halfway done with some dark peach/cream roving I bought from the same person, same kind of roving, just different colors.

I'm not very good at figuring out how much I can knit with something, though, but I think this wool I'm spinning up now (into something that'll knit on, eh, size 5 or 7 US needles - that's around 4.0mm) could make a very pretty little vest. If I have enough yarn.

Otherwise...maybe spiral-knit legwarmers and a matching hat. Or something.

My spinning wheel is a Kromski Minstrel, which is a castle-style wheel, and I love it. I use it almost exclusively with Scotch tension, not the double drive.

So, spinning is good because I can sit and spin and watch an episode of The Avengers or The X-Files or something else on DVD, and turn my brain off from the exam-studying, without worrying that I'll get bogged down and lose a whole day or something, which is what could happen if I stick my nose in a book other than a textbook.

So, what's a good way of gauging what I can knit with something, based on what I have?

Well, there's the Knitting Fiend's yardage estimator. Or the conversion chart over at Fiber2Yarn. Or maybe Knitting.About.com has something.

No comments: