Saturday, October 02, 2004

Mock Trial

So, I was a witness this morning for mock trial teams doing advocacy competition/practice. I signed up as a volunteer to help out (first-year students are encouraged to do so as practice of our own) as a witness or bailiff.

1. It was extremely educational.
2. I found out last night I was the defendant. This ties directly into point 3, below, to wit:
3. I knew frick-all about the facts of the case.

*wilts*

But it was OK. Witnesses doubled as jurors (so the lawyers had someone to look at when giving their arguments). This trial practice wasn't for me in being a witness, it was for them in being an advocate.

So. Next time? I'll just assume I'm going to get a last minute 'need a witness' call and just read whatever is published for the competitors. I didn't want to do that before because I didn't want to know stuff I as witness wasn't supposed to know. Now I know I should just look at this like a play, and be ready to ad lib for my character, whatever it is.

That's the good thing about feeling like a dork: it's so motivating.

Plus, I got to listen to the judge's critique -- you can bet I'll remember it for when my turn comes in a couple years.

No comments: