Monday, February 02, 2004

Pain in the ASS


Do you know how irritating it is to live a dairy-free lifestyle in America? Even my fricking calcium supplements have "sweetened condensed milk" in them. I don't know how I missed that to begin with, but jeez.

Fortunately, I adore non-Western cuisines, which tend to be dairy-free or darn close to it.

Also fortunately, TBoLS is putting the spawn on a GFCF diet (gluten and casein free), which lead to a discussion about milk proteins and allergies, and may have pinpointed that it is casein or another common milk protein to which I am allergic. Yeah, someday maybe I'll go to an allergist, but I'm betting that'll be when I have, like, health coverage, for starters. Thanks, President Bush! For losing all those jobs. Sincerely, A Concerned Voter.)

So, realizing that it's gotta be this casein stuff that keeps setting me off, I did a little Googling and found:

Eating Without Casein: A Practical Primer for People with Allergies to Milk, which was very helpful and directed me to the Holy Grail for women who avoid chocolate because of dairy: The Chocolate Emporium and Chocolate Decadance. Looks yummy!

No comments: