Saturday, October 04, 2003

Clinton, Dean


Great quote from Clinton in '97:

I'd also like to say that whatever it is that Howard Dean knows, or whatever it is that he eats for breakfast every morning, if I could give it to every other Democratic office holder and would-be office holder, we would immediately become the majority in the Congress and we would have about 35 governors. I have to tell you, I think a big part of it is just producing for people, actually doing what you say you're going to do at election time.


Translation: Dean is a guy who does what he says he's going to do.

I don't need to tell you how badly we need that in contemporary American politics. But I will anyway.

As a gen-X voter, I was personally, completely, *shocked* when I realized, in a disagreement with my parents a year or so ago, that they actually felt trust for the government. There is an age gap there that I expect will never be bridged.

I have never trusted my government. I grew up in a post-Watergate era. I cut my political teeth on Oliver North. I have never believed my duly (or unduly) elected representatives of the legislative and executive branches act on any real perception of the public good What.So.Ever.

Pretty much the only trust I ever had is that I feel I can rely pretty well on my government officials to betray the general welfare of citizenry for a quick buck and a re-election.

So, when I vote, and I do, it's in the hopes that by keeping Republicans and Democrats at each other's necks they'll be too occupied to come down on mine and those of ordinary citizenry. And we can get on with our lives without too much interference from a bunch of assholes.

Cynical, isn't it? Yes, yes it is. Justified? That, too.

And here...is Howard Dean. A guy in politics who does what he says he's going to do.

I cannot think of a single idea more galvanizing to my cynical fellows, more hopeful, and more desperately necessary to climb out of the terrible hole that the current administration has dug and then jumped into, headfirst.

Hope. It's not just a four-letter word anymore.

Quote via Value Judgment, opinion, of course, via me.


No comments: