Saturday, August 09, 2003

CA Recall Election


Point the first: The dip who started this all has caved -- Issa dropped out. I think the whole idea should be dropped.

Point the second: After reading an article on Ahnuld the Candidate, I'm somewhat pleased. Anytime the Republican Right bitches someone in their party is a moderate is a good day to me. Related point the second: I doubt Schwarzenegger's candidacy will succeed, but I believe this experience will have his next run for office taken much more seriously. I'm not sure how I feel about this, overall.

Point the third: According to The Eagle, a newsletter for San Diego County poll workers and poll owners (I'm volunteering) the March 2004 elections (and subsequent) may -- MAY -- be using a touch screen voting system (presumably Diebold's system(s)). To say I am not pleased about this is an understatement. I believe that replacing a known process with known weak areas -- and thus practice compensating for them -- with an unknown electronic system with unknown weak areas -- and no practice, or, heaven forfend, training compensating for them -- is incredibly unwise. How many IT people do you think are volunteering to work in precincts? I mean, besides me?

No comments: