Monday, February 24, 2003

Shocked and Ashamed


Canadian in Passport Fiasco.

"A Toronto woman coming home from India says she was pulled aside at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, accused of using a fake Canadian passport, denied consular assistance and threatened with jail."


This is completely shameful. I feel like America has become Microsoft or something -- big, fat, willing to throw its weight around without regard for anybody, and thinks it can get away with anything. I am actually repulsed. How can this be my country? My wonderful land of opportunity and hope? This is the kind of story that you read about in some unstable totalitarian fly-by-night Third World joint with no regard for rights and the law, or worse, no rights to begin with. Not America. America is supposed to be a rufuge. I'm appalled.

Ms. Cruz, I'm so terribly, terribly sorry.

My country needs a swift kick in the ass, desperately.

No comments: