Monday, January 27, 2003

Won't You Just Be Out For Blood?


Jane Elliot says in a PBS interview, among other things, that the fear of being oppressed helps drive the continuation of oppression.
"Every time I do the eye-color exercise, that very fear is expressed. Some white person will say to the person of color sitting beside him or her, "If people of color get on top, aren't they going to want to treat us the way we've treated them?" And every time it's over, some male turns to the female beside him and says, "If you women get power, aren't you going to want to do to us what we've done to you?" Isn't that interesting? We know what we're doing and we fear the consequences."


Speaking for me, no, I don't want my freedoms and to be treated like a first class citizen so that I can oppress you. I want them so that I can be free.

No comments: