Thursday, May 09, 2002

Is it Clarifying Or Covering My ***?


Who can tell, really?

Janis has drilled into some of my questions in the fanfic/feminist post I made earlier this week. I'm not sure the conversation resulted in any real significant refinement of what I'm trying to articulate, but it helped some.

Part of what I'm trying to ask has to do with post-feminist society. Among other things, feminism encourages me to say "my culture isn't meeting my needs, I'm going to change that", and then proceed to do so. Now, as a third/fourth generation feminist, I personally can look around and see artifacts and structures built to serve mainstream culture, and those built to serve much thinner communities.

My question is, does it ever stop making sense to support those niche systems? For example, 20 years ago, writing fanfic, or forming a womyn's co-op, studying/teaching Women's Studies, or god knows what else, were ground-breaking, important, revolutionary things to do, necessary to the exploration of these non-mainstream community needs.

Shouldn't these things be becoming mainstream? Especially if we're talking about feminism, which has as its fundamental goal the abolition of the need for there to be feminism. If I support womyn-centric art galleries today, am I just prolonging the day until art becomes truly integrated? If I teach Women's Studies today without there being any integration with "standard history", is it just going to take longer to reach the day when women are discussed in history just like men, in high school history books?

So, this is really all just hitting the Inside/Outside of the System questions I asked. There's only so much non-working time spent at work I can rationalize here.... To get back to my current point, which is,

Has the time for change in terms of integration with the mainstream arrived yet?

So, where fanfic is concerned, by producing and consuming fan fiction, instead of producing and consuming the mainstream product it is spun off from [TV, basically], am I actively shooting myself in the foot, and putting off the day where I can see this stuff where I really want to? Am I holding back the next (r)evolutionary step? If every one of us who produces and consumes fan fic started writing spec scripts instead of posting stories online, would we change the face of TV?

No comments: