Thursday, March 14, 2002

Ultraviolet


I just spent last night and this morning in an Ultraviolet marathon. Oh, time very well spent, I assure you. I've seen it 3 or 4 times now, and I'm still not at the point where I can watch and talk to myself about editing choices, or direction, or the writing. When it's something I've seen several times, I watch for the art and the craft as much as for the story, because I want to learn how to do it right. This makes me potentially a very irritating viewing mate ("Oh, that was a nice scene", "Look at that shot"), but I swear, I don't do it on the first viewing unless it's a really bad piece of work, a la MST3K.

Ultraviolet does not suffer in that regard. It's just so damn good at sucking me in. Oh, look, a pun.

If you've never seen this UK series, hie ye to Amazon (US, UK) and get it. You're in for a treat. Vampires as public health threat.

Once you've immersed yourself in this remarkable thriller [don't take your eyes off the screen for a second during Terra Incognita], swing round the Ultraviolet Official Site [be advised, the shows theme plays when loaded] and read an interview with Joe Ahearne, the man behind the series. All 4 parts of that interview s/b linked from the main page.

No comments: