Saturday, February 02, 2002

Cures for Writer's Block


Apparently, what works best for me in getting rid of writer's block is to complain to my bosom bud Janis about it. Then, sometime later that day, one or more ideas will rear their heads.

Of course, this technique may not work for you, and I'd wager heavy odds Janis does not want total strangers contacting her just to whine. Consider accosting your own best buds instead, if you want a little advice on that subject.

Actually, having writer's block these past couple weeks was a really good thing. Since no fiction ideas were popping, I spent a lot of time getting to know John Scalzi from a distance [reading his site], thinking about being a freelance writer, and going through my Children's Writers and Illustrator's Market for 2002, after realizing there was nothing stopping me from writing articles while I waited for the muse to strike next with a story. Well, duh. I enjoy explaining things to people, particularly young'uns, and particularly science, so now I've got magazines targeted and query letters etc., etc., and I'm generally just pleased with the whole outcome. Especially because I then just casually mention the whole thing to Janis and suddenly bam the Story Train arrives.

Muses. Bless their little pink hearts.

No comments: