Monday, May 06, 2002

So, It's a "Yes", Then


I've decided I like the current A&E Nero Wolfe, with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin. Aside from the fact that Chaykin is too skinny [probably, what, the first time in TV history of that complaint being heard -- but oh, that's a rant for a different time], and is a little too physically active for my taste, I think he makes an excellent Wolfe. And from the start, I had zero misgivings about Hutton as Archie Goodwin. He's a marvel. Rex Stout's genius was not in the invention of Wolfe, it was Archie.

I had the good fortune to watch two dramatisations of Wolfe tales last night I had not previously read, which tends to make me more open to accepting something like this. I love the 'Mercury Theatre Players' aspect of re-using cast members, and of course the color and design are remarkable.

No comments: